Monday 23 May 2011

Newest finds for the bathroom

Life never stands still - and I have some new findings for those bathroom shelves!

Have been - again -  looking hard at facecreams recently and the fact is, that I do come back over and over again to the hydrating and lovely smelling facecream "Crème Splendide Généreuse" by Annick Goutal. Simply the name is already a treat! At least my skin loves it and if there is some sort of fidelity building up, it is to this one. The eyecream is also - for me - the best I have tried so far and not have become immediately bored with... One which I will certainly try in the future is by Lancome, "Sécret de Vie" - had a tester and loved the very thick and goodsmelling cream-paste - it sinks in immediately and skin pretends to be smooth and flawless. But the price lets your heart sink...

What makes me always curious is the stuff of "Farmacia Santa Maria Novella" in Florence.
When I was a month in Florence in 1989 I did not yet know about them, my cosmetic education starting at Clarins and ending at Clinique at that time ( courtesy to the generous supplies of enchantillons by my sister A. and thanks God, my skin was more robust when young!). If I would have known then, I would most probably have moved in with the soeurs, to learn all about their production and recipes and the lot of it. ( For sure I would not have gone so far as to become a nun for that, no, but pretty near anything else).

So,  here in Brussels there is a spot - about I shall write also in due time - where you can find these little jewels! There is a body oil with Jojoba, which smells divine - of pommegrate, which I do do do love. The scent of pommegrate, "Melograno" is also wonderfully oldfashioned and powdery. I have to go back to this one...  Old loves are sometimes the best. Then there is also a hydrating cream, "Idralia", which is pretty good and affordable, without any SPF and in a good and easy texture: not too thick and not too thin neither. My daughter nicks this one all the time - and it seems to do her good. Smells of some sort of vanillacurd - mmh. The handcream went with me to Turkey and was and is still a favourite - expensive, but a little goes a very long way...  Next time I will try the face water of Orange Blossom"Aqua di Fior d`Arancio" - do admit! Apparently the Rose Water is more for robust skins, whereas Orangeblossom is soft and kind for hysterical skins like mine. To be followed...

It seems that roses are on my screen right now - there is this Rose-o12, Ultra-Moisture-Serum, by REN, more an oil for the face which is doing wonders on softness and hydration for the more mature skin -  I am normally far too lazy for serums and lotions, but this is nice, leaves the skin soft and well hydrated. Have to check out more of their things!

Another, newish find in the scent department is definitively "Les Parfums de Rosine" - there is a shop in Paris, waiting for a post of its own. I have recently dived into "Rosissimo", and it smells great! Not too rosy, as it is a masculine scent, nice mixture between roses, freshness and earthy undertones. Lovely drydown..

By accident I fell over a sample of Galenic Argan Oil Body Lotion - which turns out to be very easy to apply and very hydrating. Advantage is also, that you can get dressed immediately after applying, which is definitely a plus. There is also a new basic series by Vichy, "Essentiels" whose bodylotion is a bit wet at applying, but then sinks in lovely and gives a light smell of roses - better than the horrible plastic smells you get normally in the supermarket creams ( well, apart from Nivea, which is childhood memories pure).

Concering the Summer Tan, there is also a new favourite: Lierac, "Selftanning Lotion for Face and Body" - it smells really good and gives a very natural looking tan. My trick of not getting too streaky brown legs is always to moisturize first and only then layering a small amount of the selftanner on top of it, as the legs are already creamy, the melange is better and more natural. IF it is not enough, you just repeat the procedure the next day, until you look the shade of "brown" which you think is yours. Anyways, one should be cautious not to have too many different colours on the old body - tanned legs and white arms do not look the part.

Latest newest love are Powders - body powders that is. I have read somewhere, that the fine people used to put powder in the shoes before wearing them and I have taken to this habit too - it is highly recommended - feet feel not squeezed into the shoes, do not sweat and look nice after a long day running around. Try it! Babypowder or some delicious powder in your favourite fragrance - Chanel is doing this, Penhaligons, Aqua di Parma and some more.

And as we are at the feet: Chanel Nailpolish "Dragon" nr. 475 should be definitively on your shopping list next time you are out for a treat! Perfect wonderful deep, but brilliant red for those toes!!!

Summer, we are ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment