Thursday 18 August 2011

The less you diet, the more you lose

Finally a word we can trumpet out without hesitation!

A good friend asked me to promise her NEVER to write about diets - well, here I will not write about a new diet which will make you lose those 15 pounds in 3 hours, but will share with you the wisdom of yearly aquired pounds and old age. I do hereby postulate, that all the talk about diets and how much you should weigh and how much you may not weigh gets increasingly on my nerves.

Not that I am immune of the sporadically emerging feeling of utter and complete desperation concerning the numbers on the scales, or even worse, the feeling in my favourite slacks - oh,  here we go again and cannot breathe as we should. There is always a choice of  "fat clothes" in the wardrobe, carefully hidden in a corner and only refered to in deepest distress as "safe clothes".

Well.

Let´s face it: if you are NOT belonging to the Rubens section, the fun of buying dresses and frocks, decent fashion and even shoes is much more fun. This is a fact. It is just more easy to find a dress in 38 and look tremendous, than a dress in 44 and have the feeling of being elegant, crisp  - in short: CHIC.

Is it possible to be chic in dress size 46? Not in the eyes of the fashionable - funnily enough being more of the compact party, you are disregarded as someone who has no will power and is too lazy to lose those 10 kgs with an iron regime.

Believe me: WE ALL have tried ALL the iron regimes, and here ist startes to get interesting.
Experience, commonly aquired in many a last try to get back into the cothes you were wearing 24 years ago, will let it dawn on you, that this is not a walk in the park. Not the loosing, but keeping the pounds out of creeping back on those hips I mean. After 45 you are prone to get some "pneus" round your rib cage, if you want or not ( ha, finally life is just - even the skinny ladies get them!).

And then there is the saying of choosing between two alternatives: to do look nice and have a bottom, or to be thin and have wrinkles in your face and no bottom - up to you to decide.
I therefore decided now and here, that I will give up the horrible habit of dieting and trying to be 13 pounds thinner than I am.
I will enjoy my life and eat and drink and have fun.
I will not chew on a salad leave 45 times to look more like Wallis Simpson - no thank you. ( But she looked good in those Mainbocher dresses - let´s admit it once again)
I will smell deliciously and have always my hair in good order - at least here the issue of weight is neglectable.
I will be properly dressed:  no tent dresses and no sausage dresses neither.
I will refer only in extremis to my favourite diet: the Peach Diet. You can eat and drink everything you like, three times a day, but NO peaches, never! Attention: It never worked for me, as I love peaches...

The old wisdom of the last century applies still: The less you diet, the more you lose.
After all it is all in our mind....

No comments:

Post a Comment