Saturday 19 February 2011

Style Icons...

Who are our and your "style" icons? I mean not only in dress, but in life?

I would propose a list of some great women and men, who I admire and if you want, let me know yours too - I spoke to some friends about this blog, and got enthusiastic answers concerning feeds from all parts of the world! I am so glad!! And the fun...

Well: back to Style. Here is my list!!
First the women: Apparently, certainly Diana Vreeland - for her tremendous feeling for style, courage and excentricity and nose for new and great stuff. Then Coco Chanel - no passing by there... Concerning culture and political thinking: definitely Mme de Pompadour ( who has read the wonderful wonderful biography about her by Nanny Mitford???? Worth a go!!) - Nancy Mitford, for her writing, her independence, her love of Christian Dior dresses, and the wonderful wit; Inès de la Fressange - style there is! Saw her once in the Roger Vivier Shop in Paris, and she REALLY looks so good as on the pictures - and the voice. Thanks God I am smoking again..!
Someone I always have admired is Eleanor of Aquitaine - she got a divorce from one king at a time, when it would have been more usual for her to disappear in a monastery, got married to another king and ruled a country while her son was busily having fun in the Holy Land.
And two of my ancestors-grandmothers, for liberty in living, good sense for money, and earning a living in art.

Nearer to our times: Ingrid Bergmann - for her dresses in the film "Indiscreet"; Edith Head - most famous costume designer in the Hollywood of old. Another french actress: Fanny Ardant in the Truffaut films, specially with Gerard Dépardieu in La femme d´ à coté.

Elizabeth David: for dowdiness in her dress and the most marvelous cooking books I know. Get them!!! (Another favourite cookbook: Diana Henry.)


And I am proud to say, that I have some friends, who easily are to be put in this list, but I have not asked them yet, if I may...

Well, I see you all laugh, quite a list of  girls..

And now for my favourite men. Even more weird???

For style and wit and cleverness and love of beauty: Maurice de Talleyrand. Sorry, but only too true.
Nearer to our times in the actors bussiness: Gary Grant, young Gregory Peck ( he was not looking the part as an old man, sorry to say); for fun and whit  and love of the good life: Peter Ustinov.

Michel de Montaigne, for his attitude to love; in literature, quite predictable, Mr Darcy - and, sure!! good old Colin Firth - as Mr Darcy unbeatable and as it looks, great in the "King´s Speech". I would have liked to meet Carravaggio and buy some of his pictures to help him out.

Best dressed man in a long time: Prince Charles. True, have a look at the cut of his suits and the shoes!

For today this is all. I will certainly find some more names, popping up in my mind and will put them on "The List" in due time.

Next week I am in Bavaria - will report about Munich and some news, asap.
Have fun!!

2 comments:

  1. ....have to add one of my style-icons to the list: red-haired SONIA RYKIEL (and her daughter Nathalie, brunette) - her take on style I love: it is the epitome of modern female urban chic, ever evolving, always with a statement on being strong and independent. She emanates that bit of anarchy and curiosity which I do enjoy in her clothes. Also quite ironic and wonderfully casual and comfortable. If you think it is too funky at times, don't be fooled, look twice, her black basics are genius and present in every new collection. She somehow stands out in this cluster of fashion. Very recognizable. That is why she, well her store in the 6ème, is on my list for the next trip to Paris.
    Figuring myself in a good black knit-top with a big knit-flower (same colour) and a pair of black casual trousers.....strange driving forces that make us do things. No, much better: it's just about finding a rationale to having a ball! See you in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES YES YES! But then you have the figure to wear Sonia Rykiel, she is doing the clothes FOR YOU! Also Armani is great on Susanne and all the avantgardistic structuralists. One of the style icons herself!
    I love to come to Paris, let´s go. ASAP.

    ReplyDelete