Wednesday 20 April 2011

Tell me which car you drive and...

This saying is pure nonsense. Or only to be applied to the half witted. If one drives a  Rolls Royce: what does this say, nowadays, where references are gone and all is possible?
Depending of the plate, it could be the Queen, if you are lucky and life in the UK. Or some rich ( alas, not even has to be excentric) person - or just a rented car to impress the non-existing audience. The same is possible in the other direction: you can drive a small and unpretentious car for the sheer practicality of it -parking space, taxes, fuel, discretion - and be a millionaire. Old money seldoms shows off.

My dream car has been always the same sort of car: first a cabriolet VW - my brothers and sistes had one, and I remember the most wonderful drives in summer, driving through the glorious green valleys and  forests of my native Bavaria. Or, as there were still nostalgic white winters at that time, long long ago, we would have had the deck open, all be packed in warm clothes, hang some sleigh behind  at the car and had the most funny time of our life. I still remember one of my older brothers making the sleigh swing so much, that he almost in every curve fell out and we all laughing loud in the backseat of the car. I loved that time, it is a happy memory. The VW Cabrio was of light blue colour.

Then I dreamed of a black morris. Later then I got back to dream about a dark green MG.

What I was driving at that time in reality was a bycicle and I got my first "own" car only in 2002, by then well in my 30ies, when we moved to Belgium -  a Peugot 806, which was called Annabelle.
We bought it from dear english collegues, a family with 4 girls and the condition for the sale was that we would keep the name. Until this day, all Peugots 806 are Annabelle to us. It is a pity that we lost contact with those friends. If somebody of you know where they are, have the Courage and let me know!!

After Annabelle died a death of exhaustion I got another car - which has nothing to do with my dream car: a person carrier - for driving all that long journeys to Bavaria, I thought. In fact I go there by car once a year. And driving a tank in town makes you look as silly, as being dressed for a shooting party and driving a Land Rover to do the supermarket. No offense, but it is ridiculous.

Big cars, beautiful women and powerful men is still a picture much cherished by the yellow press and makes sales get up, foolproof apparently. If you watch "The Sopranos" they all drive as huge and important car. I wonder...

But there is in fact, that the Herat and soul of a racing driver beats in each VW Polo, I know - I have had those feelings as well when I was younger and dashed far too quickly with my mothers old Golf through the countryside. I was lucky, not to have had an accident at that time - 120km/h in a village is only cool, when you are 20 years old. I shudder, when I think of it and do appologize to my guardian angel still today.


But what is my dream car?? Now, that I have arrived in ripe middle age and know a lot more about life and its possibilities?

You might laugh: a Citroen DS. I would love to have and drive one.
Perhaps I have seen too many french films with Michel Piccoli and Romy Schneider at a certain age? There is one film,  "Les choses de la vie" de Claude Sautet, where Michel Piccoli drives a DS and dies in the end in an accident, remebering his love affair with Romy. I do remember very clearly the lovely clothes on Romy Schneider - must be in the early 60ies somehow...

This car would be fun. Indeed. Colour? In any case cognac coloured leather seats and for the car: or dark racing green with a black top or, even chicer, dark cinnamon with a creamcoloured top? Or dark cherry, but then the seats in cream... or greyish, with a black top and cream seats.. mh. Have to think about it - even if the danger of once in my life being in possession of a DS is very very small. Neglectable, so to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment