Monday 28 March 2011

April 2011 Issue of " The World of Interiors"

Perhaps I have not enough stressed the fact, that I love interior decorations and am always in my mind putting that dreamhouse together. For years I have been collecting my "scrap books" with the things I like and in a low moment those "books" are definitely a foolproof tonicum to always pick me up from feeling deep down of that hole. As is decorating that house in my mind...
As it is only logical, I am an avid reader of interior decoration magazines, not many, but some of them.
Last saturday I bought the april´s issue of The World of Interiors and it gave me so much pleasure and incentive, fun and new ideas, that I would like to urge you to have a look yourself. There is so much which is interesting!!!!! Just to give you some ideas and share with you what has grasped my interest.


First of all the Cover - the colours are inspiring, spring is in the air - well done! Writer´s Retreats as an inviation: certainly for me! The latest newest things on the Milan  Furniture Fair? Yes, I want to know. So full points for the cover, whoever edited it.

Inside, my mind got inspired by an article about new tissue designs, "Trained for Success" - I felt transported to the houses decorated by Elsie de Wolf and saw Diana Mitford in her french house in the 1960ies. Flowers and chintz, long thought dead are back! Some pages later: a book review on Syrie Maugham: Staging Glamorous Interiors.  This is for me!

Next: a section about "Interiors modern" - crude and clear - very inspiring and interesting, not that I would like to have all this furniture, but some would be spicing up a classic environment. The "Serious Pursuits" by Sophie Baarling want me make to take the next Eurostar and be off to a prolonged stay in London: The Sir John Soane´s Museum is for me a must, as are the Clifton Nurseries for every garden lover.

And on and on it goes, from a Watteau exhibition in the Royal Academie of Arts ( drawings) or in the Wallace Collection (pictures), to the forrunner of the modern Facebook ( there is nothing new under the sun) - to an advertisement for a kitchen by an italian firm - see page 129. Amazing.

And then my real treats start: one house after the other, more inspiring and interesting than the last one - you have an italian palazzo, wonderfully restored, the monastery of Tomar in Portugal,  a house in Santa Monica, which is simply divine  in its simplicity and good taste, Goethe´s house in Weimar ( I was there and it looks really like that!), a most inspiring bathroom in a house in London, to the Oslo City Hall with its murals out of the 30ies - ending with a finca in Ibiza, where we would not mind to spend a holiday.

In short: I have rarely enjoyed an issue so much as this one! If you get your hand on a copy, get yourself curled up on that sofa, with a pot of steaming tea and a  good hour of time ahead of you. It is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment